Going through divorce is tough and you need to feel confident and comfortable with your legal representation. So what do you do if you’re not happy with your divorce solicitor?
My suggestions are…
- Get clear with yourself what you’re not happy about – something they are doing? Something they are not doing?
- What needs to happen for it to be put right? What do you need from your solicitor?
- Check you have realistic expectations – check their terms of business, speak to someone who can tell you whether your expectations are realistic – e.g. a divorced friend, divorce coach/consultant etc.
- Think carefully about your state of mind. Perhaps you are being a little bit impatient or feeling anxious because of the emotional aspect of the divorce rather than the solicitor’s work.
- Tell your solicitor how you feel in a constructive way. Be clear about your concerns and what you need from them – be solution-focused.
- Give them the chance to put it right. They may not have realised you were not happy with the service until you raised it with them.
- Know you can change solicitor at any time. BUT be very sure it’s the right decision because there is a risk of a change in lawyer creating some delay in the progress of your case (whilst your file of papers is transferred and you instruct the new person) and additional costs for you (as the new person gets up to speed on your case).
Don’t be unhappy and do nothing about it. That’s not going to help you or your solicitor. You need to work together efficiently.
If you have found the tips in this blog useful then you’ll find lots more in my eBooks, which you can purchase and download today.
If you’d like to work with me 1:1, for help preparing for your divorce/or support during or after the divorce process, please get in touch to find out how I can help.
Why I became a divorce consultant.